Friday, August 17 2018

VietNamNews

Can Tho makes evacuation plans

Update: October, 14/2014 - 09:47
Hundreds of areas in the city are at risk from landslides at the moment, particularly along the Tra Noc, Binh Thuy, Cam and Can Tho rivers. — Photo nld

CAN THO (VNS) — More than 1,000 people living in areas prone to landslides would be evacuated from the Mekong Delta city of Can Tho by the end of next year, according to local authorities.

The city plans to evacuate 1,500 more people from high-risk areas by 2020, and plans to relocate all residents from landslide-prone areas by 2030.

Hundreds of areas in the city are at risk from landslides at the moment, particularly along the Tra Noc, Binh Thuy, Cam and Can Tho rivers.

Deputy head of the city's Natural Disaster Prevention and Control Department, Pham Van Quynh, said landslides along rivers in the districts of Binh Thuy, Cai Rang, Phong Dien and Thot Not had been occurring since 2012, causing losses of hundreds of millions of dong while threatening the lives of local residents.

In Tra An Ward, landslides had destroyed a 60m stretch of the river bank and caused five houses to collapse into the river, he said.

Last year, a landslide at a road leading to Tra Nien Bridge across the Can Tho River in Phong Dien District killed two people and destroyed four houses.

The city was building 30 resettlement areas for local people in danger zones, prioritising those living near and along rivers and channels, according to the provincial Department of Construction.

The city plans to build embankments to prevent landslides along rivers and channels, and has allocated more than VND1 trillion (US$47.2 million) in Government bonds to build an embankment along the Can Tho River. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: