HA NOI (VNS) — Five persons from Thai Nguyen Province are being treated at Bach Mai General Hospital for mushroom poisoning and are in critical condition, the hospital said yesterday.
According to Pham Due, director of the Poison Control Center of Bach Mai, the patients, all belonging to one family, have suffered serious damage to their liver and digestive systems and have shown symptoms of vomiting, nausea and a drop in the blood pressure.
The family reportedly collected one kilogramme of mushrooms from the forest. It was unclear what kind of mushroom it was, but it apparently had a sweet taste.
Nguyen Thanh Phong, deputy head of the Vietnam Food Administration, warned that residents should be extremely careful in picking mushrooms, especially in spring, and should not eat them unless they can check the mushroom's origin and type. — VNS