The fishing boat where the incident occurred. — Photo dantri.com.vn
QUẢNG BÌNH — One fisherman in the central province of Quảng Bình died and five others are in critical condition after inhaling toxic gas from a fishing boat on Wednesday.
The fishermen fainted after inhaling gas from a frozen fish cellar stored in the boat.
Nguyễn Tất Thắng, director of Bố Trạch District’s General Hospital, said the fishermen may have inhaled methane, sulfur gas or cyanide.
The toxic gas accumulated in the fishing boat as a result of fish disposal processes.
One of the six fishermen died en route to the hospital.
The five others were in comas with low blood pressure when they were hospitalised.
Four are now out of critical condition.
They have been moved to Việt Nam-Cuba Hospital in Đồng Hới City, Quảng Bình Province for treatment.
All victims hail from Quảng Ngãi and Quảng Bình provinces and work for a fishing boat owned by Trần Văn Mẫn from Nghĩa An Commune, Quảng Ngãi City. — VNS