Hainanese Chicken Rice
with chef Patrick Ho from Fortuna Hanoi Hotel
Hainanese chicken rice is considered one of the national dishes of Singapore. It is commonly served at lunch or dinner. Available in many Chinese coffee shops, restaurants and street hawker stalls, and also in chain restaurants.
Ingredients: serves 3-4
2kg whole chicken, cleaned
1kg rice, washed and drained
20g garlic, minced
Ginger, minced (30g for cooking rice / 100g for sauce)
30g chicken powder (for chicken soup)
- White pepper powder to taste
30ml sesame oil
50ml light soy sauce
100ml sweet dark sauce
150g large red chilies, minced
50g small lime
300g cucumber, peeled and sliced
40g sprig of coriander
20g large red chillies, julienne finely
Chef Patrick Ho
- Boil salted water enough to cover the whole chicken.
- Place chicken into the boiling water. Lower the heat to simmer.
- Poach the chicken for 40-45 mins.
- Remove and bath in ice water.
- Cook rice with lemongrass, garlic, ginger, chicken powder and chicken stock from the poached chicken.
- Mix the sesame oil and light soy sauce and a little chicken stock for the chicken seasoning.
- Mix minced chilies with small lime juice and sugar, adjust to individual liking.
- Decorate platter with cucumber.
- Debone the cooled chicken and chop into chunks and place on the decorated platter.
- Drizzle the chicken with sesame oil mixture and decorate with sprig of coriander and julienne chilies.
- Adjust the chicken stock with salt, chicken powder and pepper for soup.
- Serve cooked chicken rice with chicken, soup and condiments of sweet dark, chilli and ginger sauce.
This dish can be enjoyed at Fortuna Hotel Hanoi, 6B Láng Hạ Str, Ba Đình Dist, Hà Nội. Tel: 04 3831 3333, ext 6160 or visit website fortuna.vn