7 hospitalised due to mushroom poisoning

Update: June, 17/2014 - 14:00
The green-spored parasol mushroom (Chlorophyllum molybdites). — Photo vfa

DIEN BIEN (VNS) — Seven members of a family were poisoned after consuming green-spored parasol mushroom (Chlorophyllum molybdites) in the northern mountainous Dien Bien Province's Tan Thanh Ward last Friday.

The youngest patient was only 27 months old, released yesterday by the Ministry of Health's Viet Nam Food Administration.

The administration said the patients were admitted to the Dien Bien General Hospital following symptoms of vomiting and diarrhoea.

After administering first aid at the local hospital, the patients were moved to Ha Noi-based Bach Mai Hospital's Anti-poison Centre for further treatment.

The patients, now in stable condition, are expected to leave the hospital in the coming days.

Deputy Director of the administration Nguyen Hung Long ordered the provincial Food Division to strengthen dissemination to local residents to avoid poisoning due to mushrooms.

The mushroom, which is greenish with a cap 5 – 15 centimetres in width and stalk 10 – 30 centimetres in length, is highly poisonous. If consumed, it causes symptoms of vomiting and diarrhoea, leading to death.

The mushroom often grows in areas surrounding the buffalo shed, on the grass or in the maize field.

Deputy Director of the administration Nguyen Thanh Phong remarked that 2,084 food poisoning cases have been reported throughout the country as of June 6.

Of which, 12 fatal cases were due to poisonous mushrooms and 12 other fatal cases were due to other causes including blowfish, surf clam and cicada, he said.

The number of fatal cases was 41.2 per cent higher than the same period last year, he added.

In addition, the number of food poisoning cases increased 15.4 per cent compared to the same period last year, he said.

The administration highly recommended people to avoid eating mushrooms they did not recognise or know well.

People should be taken to the nearest health centre for treatment if they show symptoms of vomiting or diarrhoea after eating mushrooms. — VNS