A senior official from the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development's Department of Plant Protection told Bao ve nguoi tieu dung (Customer Protection) newspaper that nearly 300 tonnes of fruit recently imported from China was found to contain pesticides.
However, he said, as the percentage of toxic chemicals was only two to three times higher than permissible, the fruit was still safe to eat. Indeed, he said, he ate plenty of it himself.
The official even went so far as to offer advice on how to buy this tainted food. He said that to check on how safe a food product was, shoppers should refer to something called the Daily Index.
Just what this index is, we are not sure, but according to the departmental expert, it provides the amount of a toxic chemical each person can eat per day, and thus avoid poisoning.
For example, he said that the health of a young boy weighing 50kg would be threatened if he ate 70 apples a day that had higher-than-permitted rates of insecticide. Oh really!
Let's get this clear. It seems that, instead of warning customers to avoid eating contaminated food, the official from the Plant Protection Department, actually encourages customers to support the trade!
Guess who talks rubbish!
The Ha Noi People's Committee Office has announced a new regulation to prevent public servants in the capital city from talking rubbish (Vietnamese: noi bay) during working hours.
The regulation sounds ridiculous, particularly because it does not define what is meant by "rubbish". Presumably, it is because too many public servants waste their time talking about anything except what they are supposed to.
And who will be in charge of supervising public servants throughout the day to find out whether they are talking nonsense or not?
Another problem is how to prove that any public servant - or anyone for that matter - is talking rubbish? Will the authorities be willing to spend squillions of dong to equip State agencies with recorders?
And as no punishments have been announced, one can presume this is another toothless tiger.
Tarzan still lives!
A massage shop in Binh Tan District in HCM City last week burst into fire but the workers could not get out because the door was locked.
Shortly after, four quickly dressed massage workers (for the record: three female and one male) tied pieces of cloth together and started lowering themselves from the second floor to the ground.
They all successfully escaped before the fire brigade arrived and put out the blaze. A bystander commented that rope-making and escaping skills should be taught to workers in all high risk locations, such as bars, restaurants and, of course, massage parlours.
Sounds like a job for an urban Tarzan! — VNS