with Executive Chef Frederic Meynard from Sheraton Nha Trang Hotel&Spa
Modern Asian cuisine connoisseur Frederic Meynard has joined the Sheraton Nha Trang Hotel&Spa as its culinary leader.
Hired in September as the new seaside property's executive chef, the 34-year-old Frenchman has spent the better part of the last decade in Southeast Asia, including two stints in Viet Nam at the Sofitel Metropole Ha Noi and Hilton Ha Noi Opera.
"What excites me about Nha Trang is the variety, from the seafood the fishermen pull in to the tropical fruits you find at the local markets," Meynard says. "I have so much to play with in the kitchen, I feel like a kid in a candy shop."
Meynard tells us how to prepare steamed garoupa in lotus leaf, ginger and soya sauce.
"Garoupas are among the best quality sea fishes. This fish recipe is not difficult. Now anyone can make this nutritious and hearty dish at home."
Ingredients: serves 4 persons
- 800g garoupa fish fillet
- 80g fresh ginger julienne
- 100g fresh shiitake mushroom sliced
- 4 pcs small lotus leaf
- 100g cooked lotus seed
- 1tsp fish sauce
For the sauce
- 2tbsp light soy sauce
- 1tsp sugar
- 1tsp sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 ginger (sliced)
- ½ litre of fish stock
- ade from fish bone)
- White pepper powder
- Stud the garoupa fillet with ginger and shiitake mushroom and marinate for an hour with white pepper and a little fish sauce.
- Wrap the fillet and other ingredients in the lotus leaf and steam for 10 minutes.
- For the sauce: Saute garlic and ginger until golden brown. Pour the remaining ingredients and cook until boil, set aside.
- For serving: Make a small incision with a knife, open and pour the soya sauce on top of the steamed fish, and serve immediately.
You can enjoy this dish and other creations by Meynard at Sheraton Nha Trang Hotel&Spa, 26-28 Tran Phu Street, Nha Trang City, Tel: (058) 3880000.