Thursday, April 25 2019

VietNamNews

Contractors cited at high-rise

Update: May, 05/2010 - 09:31

HA NOI — As many as 15 contractors at the construction site of the Keangnam Hanoi Landmark Tower, Ha Noi's highest building with 70 storeys, have received fines of VND235million (US$12,000) for violating work safety regulations.

The punishment was announced yesterday after a group of the city's building inspectors monitored work at the site for a month.

Leading the inspection, Nguyen Thi Phuc, deputy director of Ha Noi's Department of Labour, Invalids and Social Affairs said that the main contractor, Keangnam Enterprises Ltd Co, had not adhered to Vietnamese regulations on labour safety.

The company did not have any measures in place to ensure safety on the construction site, nor did it seek advice about labour safety and lacked staff capable of managing safety issues.

The company also failed to report accidents that occurred on site to the relevant authorities.

Since last July, six people have died and another three have been injured in accidents.

Phuc said that only 30 per cent of subcontractors' workers were trained and untrained workers with limited skills and experience were considered a potential risk to labour safety.

According to inspectors, besides the main contractor, there were around 24 subcontractors and about 50 other material or service suppliers working at the site. The building scheme employs 3,500 people, including nearly 200 foreigners.

The inspectors also found 12 out of 42 pieces of machinery were being operated without test certificates from authorities and none of them had been registered. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: