Viet Nam News
Feijoada name is derived from the Portuguese word for bean, feijao. A favorite in the southeast, around Rio and Sao Paulo, Feijoada is a flavorful stew of beans with pork. This recipe is offered by Chef Desmond Carneiro of Riviera Restaurant.
Ingredients: serves 1
2 tsp olive oil
2 cups onions, chopped
2 tsp chopped garlic
2 bay leaves
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pound choriço sausage, sliced, 1/4-inch thick
1 pound carne seca or other salted cured beef, soaked overnight and cubed
1 pound baby back spareribs, cut into individual ribs
1 pound black beans
10 cups water
4 cups collared or kale greens, sauteed in olive oil
4 cups cooked white rice
Brazilian hot sauce
To make Farofa:
3 tsp butter
2 1/2 cups manioc flour
Salt to taste
In a large saute pan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour. Season with salt. Saute until golden in about 3 to 5 mins. Remove from the heat.
1 orange, halved and cut into thin slices.
- In a large heavy-bottom saucepan, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and garlic. Crush the bay leaves and add to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and sauté for 5 mins.
- Add the sausage. Continue to cook for 4 mins.
- Add the cubed beef, ribs, beans and water.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the beans are tender, about 2 1/2 hours. Adding water as necessary to keep the beans covered.
- Using the back of a ladle, mash 1/4 of the beans. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- To serve, spoon some of the greens and rice onto each serving plate. Spoon the Feijoada over the rice. Shake some of the hot sauce over the entire plate. Garnish with the orange slices and farofa.
This dish can be sampled at Riviera Restaurant, Pullman Vũng Tàu – 15 Thi Sách St, Tháng Tám Ward, Vũng Tàu City. Call 064 355 1777 for enquiries or reservations.