with chef Kenji Tam from from Fortuna Hotel Ha Noi
Tantalise your taste buds with the delectable delight of Oven Baked Drunken Grouper with Singleton Sambal Sauce, a recipe by Chef Kenji Tam of Emperor Restaurant. The flavourful grouper perfectly combined with single malt and savoury sambal sauce will definitely impress your discerning palate.
Ingredients: serve 1
- 1 grouper
- 500g dried shrimp
- 2kg onion
- 200g garlic
- 200g lemongrass
- 200g red chilli
- 200g sugar
- 50g chicken powder
- 100cc single malt whisky
- 200g shallot
- salt, pepper, wheat flour to taste
- 200g Korean red chilli powder
- 200g shrimp paste (mam tep)
To make sambal sauce:
- Without water, add 500g dried shrimp to food processor. Then add in a bit of water and blend 2kg onion, 200g shallot, 200g garlic, 200g lemongrass and 200g red chilli.
- Add 500ml oil to a pan with the mixture of shallot, garlic and lemongrass, then stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add onion and stir-fry until water dries up.
- Add dried shrimp, red chilli, shrimp paste and red chilli powder.
- Stir-fry until the mixture turns red, then add in sugar, chicken powder and single malt whisky. Stir-fry for 5 minutes, then remove from heat and set in cool place.
To make the dish:
- Let the fish soak in single malt whisky for 2 hours and cut the head to take out the blood.
- Fillet the fish. Marinate with salt, pepper and single malt whisky for 30 minutes.
- Cover fish with wheat flour and pan fry for a few minutes until the skin is crisp.
- Place the fish on the tray and put in the oven and bake at 180oC for 20 minutes.
The dish will be introduced in the six-course award-winning menu prepared by Head Chef Kenji Tam for Valentine's Day and International Women's Day. These menus will be served in a romantic and memorable setting at Capital Lounge during dinner time (6pm-10pm on February 14 and March 2-8). One day advance booking is required. Fortuna Hotel Ha Noi, 6B Lang Ha St, Ba Dinh Dist, Ha Noi. Tel: 04 3831 3333 - ext 6461/ 6160.