Cha Shiew (Xa Xiu)
with chef Nguyen Van Tuan from Fortuna Hotel Ha Noi
Craving for Char Siew? Char Siew fans who have become accustomed to the fragrant, juicy and good texture of succulent pork belly should not miss the opportunity to savour this caramelised barbecued pork, a recipe by chef Tuan (Fortuna Hotel Ha Noi).
Ingredients: serves 4-6
- 1kg pork belly
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 glass of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp maltose
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Wash the pork and set aside.
- Place pork in a non-metal container. Combine all ingredients to marinate the pork (without salt). Put in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, take the pork out and marinate with salt for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in the pan to medium heat. Fry the marinated pork with water then simmer in 45 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 250oC in 20 minutes.
- Bake the pork on both side (5-10 minutes for each side).
- Let the pork cool down and cut into thin slices, served with rice or noodles.
You can sample the dish at Fortuna Hotel Ha Noi, 6B Lang Ha St, Ba Dinh Dist, Ha Noi. Char Siew is available from August 1 at Tiffin Restaurant during dinner time, 6pm - 10pm. For information and reservation, kindly contact (04) 3831 3333 - ext 6160/6461 or visit fortuna.vn.