with Chef de Cuisine, Soren Lascelles from Square One restaurant, Park Hyatt Saigon
Square One restaurant derives its name from the philosophy of authentic simplicity, but it prepares sophisticated Vietnamese and Western dishes, using fresh local seafood and produce, and the finest cuts of imported beef.
Square One's Chef de Cuisine, Soren Lascelles, shares with us his "secret" recipe for Vietnamese BBQ Bamboo Chicken with Green Peppercorn.
Ingredients: serves 4
- 20g garlic
- 20g shallot
- 20g white portion of spring onion
- 1 teaspoon five spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 20 ml vegetable oil
- 10 ml fish sauce
- 1 piece red chilli, thinly sliced
- Small piece leek, thinly sliced
- Sprigs of fresh coriander
- Fresh green peppercorns
- 4 lime wedges
- Salt and white pepper for dipping sauce
- 4 pieces of split bamboo sections for presentation purposes (optional)
- 2 whole fresh chicken,
- 700g-900g each after removing the bone
- Marinade: Chop spring onion, shallots and garlic to form a paste, mix all other ingredients to be used as the marinade.
- Chicken: Butterfly the chicken from the back side, opening it with a knife so that it's easy to grill. Marinade the chicken overnight.
- To grill: Char-grill the chicken until the skin is crispy and cooked.
- To serve: Place chicken on the half bamboo, sprinkle with sliced chilli, leek, green peppercorns, coriander sprigs and lime wedges.
This dish is accompanied with a dipping sauce of salt, pepper mix and fresh lime juice.