with executive chef Patrick Ho from Fortuna Hotel Ha Noi
Jazz up your dining experience with the exotic flavours of Thai green chicken curry, a recipe by Chef Patrick Ho. The aromatics flavours of lemongrass and galangal, as well as the shallots and garlic which give the dish a must try for every Thai food lover.
Ingredients: serves 4
- 700g chicken breasts, with skin and bones intact 2.5l water
- 2 scallions, trimmed and cut in half 1 inch ginger, lightly smashed
- 5cm cinnamon
- 2pcs of cardamom
- 2 or 3 pcs of anise
- 5pcs of bay leaf
- 5/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp sugar
- 50ml rice wine
To make Green Curry Paste:
- 20 bird's eye green chillies
- 1 tsp chopped galangal 3 tsp chopped lemongrass
- 2 tsp finely minced lime leaves
- 1 tsp chopped turmeric
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 tsp chopped shallots
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 1 tsp chopped coriander root
- Ground white pepper and salt to taste
To make Green Chicken Curry:
- 5 tsp coconut cream
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- ½ tsp palm sugar
- 180ml chicken stock
- 180g sliced chicken meat
- 60g Thai round green eggplants
- 2 lime leaves
- 2 spring Thai basil leaves
- Heat the coconut cream in a saucepan. Once it has reduced and begun to split, add 4 curry paste and mix, stirring continuously until aromatic. Add the fish sauce and sugar to taste, pour in the stock and bring back to boil, then put in the meat and eggplant. Simmer until cooked through, and then stir in the lime and basil leaves. Adjust with more coconut cream if it's too spicy or chicken stock if it's too thick. Serve with steamed rice.
- Place chicken and 1.5l water in a large pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower heat to simmer, leave lid partially open, and simmer further for 2 mins (Halfway through, when there are 10 mins left, turn chicken over) Turn heat off, cover pot and allow chicken to rest in liquid for 15 more mins.
- Combine the scallions, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, anise, bay leaf and wine with 1l water in a pot. Boil over high heat in 30 mins. Remove all the ingredients out of the wine sauces and then allow cooling. Add the salt and sugar to the sauce. Remove chicken from pot and allow cooling. Remove skin and bones and slice into 1 x 2-inch pieces. Place in a large bowl. Stir wine sauce and pour over chicken. Allow chicken to marinate for one hour, refrigerate, cover with plastic wrap. Serve cool.
This dish can be enjoyed in Semi-Buffet, Fortuna Hotel Ha Noi – 6B Lang Ha St, Ba Dinh Dist, Ha Noi. Tel: 04-3831 3333, ext 6160.