with chef Kenji Tam from Ha Noi Fortuna Hotel
If you get fed up with the American-styled hamburger, why not try a new kind of hamburger from Japan, Jumbo Wafu Hambaga. 'Wa' means Japanese and 'Fu' means style. So this dish is a Japanese-style hamburger (or hamburg), which is really a grilled beef patty (or a giant meatball) topped with a Japanese-style sauce.
Ingredients: serves 2
- 300g minced beef
- A dash of black cardamom
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp Hon dashi powder
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 30ml Japanese "sake" (rice wine)
- 1 tsp Hon Mirin
- Shironegi (Welsh Onion) to taste
- Add the minced meat, onion, egg, Hon dashi powder, Panko bread crumbs.
- Heat up the frying pan and pour in butter. Saute the meat on low heat for 10 mins.
- Flip the hamburger over until it is well cooked on both sides. Then set aside.
- Pour black cardamom and pepper in a bowl and mix well.
- To make the sauce, boil the mix of soy sauce, sake and hon mirin.
- Put the grated daikon (water drained out) on top and arrange it with the perilla, leek, shironegi, fried garlic and the sauce.
You can sample the dish at Ha Noi Fortuna Hotel, 6B Lang Ha Str, Ba Dinh Dist, Ha Noi. Tel: (84 - 4) 3831 3333 - 6435/6437/6413.