with Executive Chef Nguyen Le Hong Linh, from Mango Bay Restaurant of Mango Bay Resort.
This is a colourful dish with a variety of different tastes. Chef Linh recommends a selection of mango salad, beef with la lot (betel leaves that contain many antioxidants and can be used as an herbal medicine for asthma and cough), fresh hand rolls and crispy shrimp.
Ingredients: serves 1
Green mango salad:
- 50g green mango julienne
- 30g carrot julienne
- Mint, basil, coriander and chili fish sauce to taste
- Mix together green mango, carrot, herbs and chili fish sauce in a bowl.
Beef with la lot:
- 50g minced beef
- 4pcs betel leaves
- 1/2 tsp soya sauce
- Finely chopped lemon grass, chili, and shallot to taste
- Place a leaf dark side down on a plate. Fill in the middle of the leaf and roll into a tiny cylinder about 5cm long and 2cm thick. Make as many rolls as you can with the remaining meat and leaves. Then grill on charcoal. Grill the parcels, turning twice, until cooked through.
Fresh hand roll:
- 20g boiled sliced pork
- 10g rice noodles
- 1pcs rice paper
- Lettuce, mint, coriander, and cucumber julienne to taste
- Soften a rice paper wrapper with water. Put the slices of pork, rice noodles and herbs in the centre and roll to about 2x5cm in size.
- 2pcs shrimps (shelled and deveined, tail left on)
- Tempura batter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking oil to deep fry
- Dip shrimps into batter. Heat the oil to 170 degree, and fry the shrimps until crisp and golden brown in eight minutes.
- Using a skimmer, transfer the fried shrimps onto kitchen papers to drain the oil excess.
Chili fish sauce:
- 1/5 tbs plain fish sauce
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp red chili, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- Mix all ingredients and stir together.
- Arrange as shown in the photo.
You can sample the dish at Mango Bay Restaurant of Mango Bay Resort, Ong Lang Beach, Phu Quoc Island. Tel: (077) 3981693./.VNS