with chef Alex Zheng from Fortuna Hotel Ha Noi
This recipe for glutinous rice filled with chicken comes from Chef Alex Zheng (Fortuna Hotel Ha Noi). Called "lo mai gai" in Chinese, the popular dim sum dish comes wrapped in fragrant lotus leaves. Open the wrapper, and you're treated to a little square of sticky rice with a filling of chicken, lap cheong (Chinese sausage) and mushrooms.
Ingredients: serves 10
- 1kg glutinous rice
- 20 lotus leaves
- 1/2kg chicken leg meat
- Sugar to taste
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- A bit of Chinese sausage (lop cheong)
- Straw mushrooms to taste
- 1 small bowl dried shitake mushrooms, dehydrated and chopped
- A bit of Char Siew pork (BBQ Pork)
- 1 small bowl dried shrimp
- Chicken powder to taste
- Seasoning powder to taste
- Soak lotus leaves in hot water. Drain and set aside.
- Wash rice several times and then soak for 2 hours.
- Steam rice for about 40 minutes or until translucent. Mix the ingredients for the rice together with chicken powder, seasoning powder, sugar and cooking oil.
- Continue steaming rice until they are done.
- Cut chicken, sausages, pork, dried shrimp and mushrooms into small pieces.
- Heat wok, add a little oil and stir-fry chicken, sausages, pork, dried shrimp and mushrooms. Add chicken powder, seasoning powder and oyster sauce and mix thoroughly.
- Spread one thin layer of cooked glutinous rice on each lotus leaf. Add stuffing on top of rice in the centre. Cover and wrap well.
You can sample the dish at May Man Chinese Cuisine Restaurant, Fortuna Hotel Ha Noi, 6B Lang Ha St, Ba Dinh Dist, Ha Noi. Tel: 04 3831 3333, ext 6160.