with Executive Sous Chef Wong Yow Phun from Hotel Equatorial in HCM City
Chef Phun offers up a festive dish for Christmas with his sweet cranberry-orange sauce the perfect accompaniment to grilled duck breast. The dish is part of the Hotel Equatorial's special holiday menu.
- 225gr whole cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 125ml orange-peel vodka
- 225ml orange marmalade
- 2 large duck breasts, skin on
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Roasted potatoes and steamed asparagus or broccoli
- Combine the cranberries, orange-peel vodka and marmalade in a medium saucepan, then bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, stir occasionally until all is thick, for 10 minutes. Cover and keep warm.
- Wash the duck breasts thoroughly under cold running water, pat dry and place them skin side down on a clean cutting board. Then cut each breast in half down the centre to create four pieces. Trim away any fat that extends past the edges of the exposed meat, and leave a layer of fat on one side. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a griddle pan over a high heat and grill the breast pieces, fat side down, until the fat has been rendered and the skin is golden-brown (eight-10 minutes).
- Turn the breast over, baste with sauce, and cook to desired doneness for five minutes for medium- rare.
- Remove the pieces of breast from the pan, loosely cover with aluminum foil and leave it to rest for two to three minutes (which allow the natural fruits to redistribute throughout the meat).
- Slice the breast thinly, cut against the grain, and fan the pieces out on four warm plates. Spoon the sauce over the top.
- Serve with roasted potatoes and steamed asparagus or broccoli as shown in the photo.
The dish can be sampled at Hotel Equatorial HCM City, 242 Tran Binh Trong St, District 5. Tel: (08) 3839 7777.