with Executive Sous Chef Wong Yow Phun from Hotel Equatorial in HCM City
Chicken curry is a common delicacy in Southeast Asia, as well as in the Caribbean. Although the main ingredients are the same, recipes can vary from country to country. Chef Phun recommends using coconut milk, a common ingredient in Vietnamese cuisine.
Ingredients: serves 4
- 110gr curry powder
- 5pcs clove flower
- 2pcs star anise
- 1pcs cinnamon
- 2pcs garlic, diced
- 5pcs shallots, diced
- 5pcs onion
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 ginger, diced
- 5pcs potato, peeled, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 kg chicken, cut into small cubes
- Heat up the pan and add garlic, ginger and shallot, star anise, clove flower, and cinnamon until all turn to a light-brown.
- Add blended onion and stir well.
- Add curry powder and continue to stir until all is mixed well.
- Add coconut milk and stir.
- Add chicken, potato, salt and sugar to taste.
- Heat all until the chicken turns soft.
- Keep warm until ready to serve as shown in the photo.
The dish is offered at Hotel Equatorial HCM City, 242 Tran Binh Trong St, District 5. Tel: (08) 3839 7777. — VNS