with executive chef Mak King Sang from May Man (Lucky) Chinese Cuisine Restaurant
Congee is a dish similar to Vietnamese rice porridge and is often served as a cure-all comfort food in a similar way to chicken soup in Western culture. Usually served as a light meal or as part of favourite congee listing on a dim sum menu, you now can indulge in the delicious taste of century egg and pork congee.
Ingredients: serves 4
- 4 so-called century old eggs* (trung), chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 pcs fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 300g lean pork
- 1 small bowl of rice flour
- 1 small bowl of potato flour
- 1 cup uncooked rice 7
- 9 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dark sesame oil
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp chicken powder
- 100g spring onions, chopped
- 100g cilantro sprigs, washed and cut
- 5pcs deep-fried Vietnamese bread (quay)
- Wash the rice briefly and leave to soak for 1 hour. Place rice in the pot. Add the water and soup stock (potato flour, rice flour and chicken powder) and bring to the boil on a high heat.
- Once boiling, turn down to a low-medium heat and simmer gently for an hour, stirring regularly to avoid burning. If the congee reaches this stage prematurely, simply add some more water to the mixture and continue to heat.
- In the meanwhile, cut the pork into thin strips and place in a bowl. Add the marinade ingredients to the pork and mix well. Leave it marinated for 5 minutes.
- Add the marinated pork and chopped century egg to the congee mixture, continuing to stir regularly whilst on a gentle simmer for a further 15 minutes until the pork is cooked.
- Before serving, taste for seasoning and add salt or a couple drops of sesame oil.
- Garnish with chopped scallions, ginger slivers, cilantro and Vietnamese fried bread (quay).
*If you prepare congee with cooked rice, you will need more rice, and slightly less water, but you may tweak this when cooking by adding more water, or boiling water off.
You can sample the dish during the Dim Sum lunch or order from A La Carte Menu at May Man Chinese Cuisine, Fortuna Hotel Ha Noi, 6B Lang Ha St, Ba Dinh Dist, Ha Noi. Tel: (04) 3831 3333, ext. 6260.