with Executive Chef Ninh Cong Dan from Riverside Cafe of Renaissance Riverside Hotel Saigon.
Ingredients: serves 1
- 180g chicken breast with bone
- 1 bowl mixed garden greens
- salt and pepper
- fresh thyme: 1 sprig
- 1tsp chopped basil
- 1tbsp cream
- 1tbsp lime juice
- 50ml bearnaise sauce (optional)
- 50ml peppercorn sauce (optional)
- 50ml mushroom sauce (optional)
- salt, grated parmesan cheese to taste
- Season chicken breast with salt, pepper, thyme, basil, and lime juice.
- Grill two sides until thoroughly cooked.
- Place on white square plate.
- Serve with the three kinds of sauce.
- 250g unsalted butter
- 2tbsp fresh tarragon leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 50ml white wine vinegar
- 75ml dry white wine
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 white peppercorns (crushed)
- pinch of cayenne
- 4 egg yolks
- Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat just to melt.
- Boil shallots, tarragon and peppercorns in vinegar and wine in a nonreactive medium-size saucepan over medium heat until reduced to about 50ml of liquid.
- Remove from the heat and strain into the top of a double boiler.
- Whisk in egg yolks.
- Place the top over the bottom of the double boiler. Fill one-third of the bottom of the boiler with simmering water.
- Whisk constantly until they are fluffy.
- Remove the top of the double boiler from the hot water and continue whisking.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add four ice cubes to the bottom of the double boiler to cool a little.
- Place the top of the double boiler above the bottom part.
- Whisk in the melted butter, drizzling it in very slowly until the butter is about to break apart.
- Remove the top and continue whisking to cool it down (or whisk in 1 tsp cold water).
- Whisk in salt and cayenne.
- When butter is incorporated, taste and add more salt or cayenne as needed.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1tsp green peppercorns in brine, drained
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- 1tbsp cream
- 100ml red wine
- 150ml beef stock salt to taste
- Add wine and beef stock to the pan and allow to bubble until reduced by half.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add peppercorns, then whisk in mustard and cream.
- Continue to simmer for 2-3 minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened and glossy.
- The method is the same as the peppercorn sauce, but replace peppercorns with mushrooms.
You can sample the dish at Riverside Cafe at Renaissance Riverside Hotel Saigon, 8-15 Ton Duc Thang Street, District 1, HCM City. Tel: (08)38220033.