HAI DUONG (VNS) — The Hai Duong Preventive Medicine Centre yesterday reported that a young girl died by meningococcal disease, a contagious disease caused by the Neisseria meningitidis bacterium.
The death of 18-year-old Do Thi Xuyen of Tu Minh Ward in Hai Duong City is the first Neisseria meningitidis fatality in the province so far.
Xuyen had been admitted to Hai Duong General Hospital with slight fever and headache on February 20.
The hospital sent her to Military Hospital 108 in Ha Noi, where she was diagnosed with more serious symptoms of shock due to infection, respiratory failure and bleeding disorder.
Tests confirmed that she had a blood infection and meningococcal disease caused by Neisseria meningitidis. She died on the morning of February 22 at Military Hospital 108.
Authorities made a list of people who had direct contact with Xuyen, such as friends, family members and medical staff, and informed the local authorities and the patient‘s school, Luong The Vinh High School, about the risks.
The province's preventive medicine centre has already instructed people living near Xuyen's residence to practise personal hygiene and take measures for disease prevention, such as regular washing of hands with soap and cleaning of living areas.
Residents and schools have been requested to open doors and windows for air circulation regularly. People showing the disease symptoms such as high fever, headache and runny nose should immediately visit the nearest hospital for examination.
Health experts said meningococcal disease is spread by person-to-person contact through respiratory droplets from infected victims. Symptoms include stiff neck, high fever and rashes all over the body. The disease is considered dangerous because the onset of symptoms is sudden and death can follow within hours. —VNS