|A baby receives the Quinvaxem vaccine at a community health clinic. — VNA/VNS File Photo
BAC NINH(VNS) — A two-month old baby girl in the northern Bac Ninh province, who received a dose of Quinvaxem on Sunday, died due to anaphylactic shock.
Deputy Director of the Health Department Nguyen Dinh Tam, today announced that on Sunday at 8:30am, the family took the baby, Nguyen Thao Nhi, for a vaccination of the 5-in-1 vaccine at the health centre of Vo Cuong district in Bac Ninh City.
At 11:30am, when the baby began crying and her body turned pale, her family took her to the Bac Ninh Paediatric hospital. She received first aid there but her health deteriorated.
She was then transferred to the Central Paediatrics Hospital, but her condition showed no improvement. Despite intensive treatment, the girl died at 9pm.
A medical examination council has been set up to verify the cause of death.
Another 48 babies received the Quinvaxem vaccine on the same day, but there were no reports of any side-effects on those babies.
Quinvaxem is meant to prevent five common, potentially fatal childhood diseases: diphtheria (D), tetanus (T), pertussis (P, whooping cough), and hepatitis B (HepB), in addition to haemophilus influenza type B (Hib). — VNS