Monday, December 18 2017

VietNamNews

City reports 40% fall in traffic accidents in first quarter

Update: April, 12/2012 - 09:58

HCM CITY — The first quarter has seen a 40 per cent reduction in the number of  accidents compared to the same period last year, according to HCM City officials.

Speaking at a recent meeting to review traffic safety, Nguyen Ngoc Tuong, deputy head of the city's Traffic Safety Division, said there were 155 accidents recorded in the first quarter of 2012 that killed 132 people, 87 lower than the same period last year. The number of people injured, 71, was 97 less than the same period of 2011.

Nguyen Huu Tin, Deputy Chairman of the HCM City People's Committee, said reducing traffic congestion was one of the six focal programmes carried out by the city's authorities in 2012.

District authorities, city departments and Government agencies were told to focus on removing "black" spots and gridlocks on 23 accident-prone roads in the city and place road dividers on 29 others.

The municipal administration has also asked the departments and agencies to review parking spaces, relocate vehicle-registration centres to outlying districts, and speed up underground parking projects.

Meanwhile, it has been announced that construction work will start on April 14 to build the Sai Gon Bridge No 2 across the Sai Gon River, standing parallel to the existing Sai Gon Bridge No 1.

Nguyen Mai Bao Tram, investment manager of the HCM City Infrastructure Investment JSC – investor in the Sai Gon Bridge No.2 Project – said her company would invest some VND1.2 trillion (US$57.4 million) in the B.T. (Build-Transfer) project.

Construction of the new bridge is scheduled to be completed in 22 months.

The 900m long, 23.5m wide, four-lane bridge project aims to increase safety on the Sai Gon Bridge No. 1, which is nearly 50 years old, by reducing traffic jams and overloading. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: