|More than 190 workers in southern province of Đồng Nai undergo health check after eating improperly-processed Colocasia gigantea that cause itching. — Photo calofood.vn|Viet Nam News
ĐỒNG NAI — Over 190 workers from a wooden furniture company in the southern province of Đồng Nai underwent health checks after eating lunch on Tuesday.
Most experienced tiredness, itching in the throat, vomiting and some reportedly had a stomachache.
After examining the food the workers ate for lunch, the province’s Food Safety Department found that improperly-processed Colocasia gigantea that was used to make soup was responsible for the symptoms. The Colocasia gigantea had not been peeled fully, which led to the itching.
Head of the department Nguyễn Văn Hữu said the workers were from Miền Quê Commercial Sevices and Production Company in Nhơn Trạch 2 Industrial Zone, employing 1,800 workers. The company provides meals to its workers.
The company will be penalised in connection with the issue, Hữu said. — VNS