Wednesday, November 22 2017

VietNamNews

Tragic kidney dialysis calamity to be investigated

Update: May, 31/2017 - 07:00
The case of Hòa Bình Fatal Dialysis. — VNS Infographic Trương Vị
Viet Nam News

HÀ NỘI – Health Minister Nguyễn Thị Kim Tiến yesterday called the death of seven patients of suspected anaphylactic shock while receiving kidney dialysis at Hòa Bình Province’s General Hospital a serious medical calamity.

She said an accident of this kind had occurred for the first time in the medical sector.

Paying a visit to the Hà Nội-based Bạch Mai Hospital where 10 other affected patients are currently being treated, the official said blood filter expenses of the patients wouldbe covered.

At a press conference at the provincial People’s Committee headquarters yesterday morning, Dr Trương Quý Dương, director of the General Hospital in Hòa Bình Province, claimed responsibility for the accident.

Colonel Phạm Văn Sử, deputy director of Hòa Bình Province’s Police Department, said that the autopsy examination had been completed. The Ministry of Public Security will support the investigation into the incident.

Meanwhile, on the same day, Hòa Bình Province’s Police Department began prosecution in connection with the incident.

Nguyễn Văn Quang, chairman of the provincial People’s Committee, said the local Health Department would work with the Health Ministry to treat 11 other patients currently suffering from the shock.

Health Minister Nguyễn Thị Kim Tiến visits patients at Bạch Mai Hospital. – VNA/VNS Photo

Also yesterday morning, 10 patients suffering from anaphylactic shock were sent to Bạch Mai Hospital. They are reportedly in stable condition.

One patient, who is in critical condition, is being treated at Hòa Binh Province’s General Hospital. Top medical experts of Bạch Mai Hospital have been mobilised to support Hòa Bình Province’s General Hospital.

More than 100 other patients receiving blood filter at the General Hospital in Hòa Bình Province were sent to hospitals in Hà Nội for better treatment.

Speaking on the sidelines of the National Assembly meeting yesterday morning, Nguyễn Anh Trí, director of the National Institute of Hematology and Blood Transfusion, told vietnamplus.vn “To reach an official conclusion, we need to conduct a careful investigation. I think the accident may be related to liquid or medicines that patients share while undergoing kidney dialysis.”

Right after the accident was reported on Monday, Deputy Prime Minister Vũ Đức Đam travelled to the northern province of Hòa Bình to extend his sympathies to families of those who had died and visit patients undergoing treatment. 

During a working session with leaders of the provincial Health Department, Đam asked them to collaborate with the working group to identify the incident’s cause and clarify the responsibilities of individuals and units concerned. 

The results must be reported to the Health Ministry by May 30.

Earlier on Monday morning six out of 18 kidney patients who were receiving dialysis at Hòa Bình Province General Hospital died with suspected anaphylactic shock. As soon as the deaths were reported, the hospital turned off its dialysis machines. On Monday night, the hospital confirmed the death of the seventh patient. – VNS

 

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: