Saturday, December 3 2016

VietNamNews

Typhoon due today in northeast VN

Update: October, 19/2016 - 03:00
Youth Union members of central Thanh Hoa Province help farmers in Ha Trung District harvest rice ahead of the expected landing of Typhoon Sarika. — VNA/VNS Photo Duy Hung
Viet Nam News

HÀ NỘI – Local authorities have been placed on full alert for typhoon Sarika, which is predicted to make landfall in areas from Quảng Ninh to Hải Phòng at around 4pm today.

The storm was located 330km southeast of Quảng Ninh-Hải Phòng provinces at 4pm yesterday, with wind speed at the eye of the storm reaching 135km per hour, according to the National Hdyrometeorological Forecast Centre.

The storm keeps moving north and north-west and is expected to weaken into a low tropical pressure in the next 36 hours.  

Torrential rains and strong winds were forecast to strike the northern provinces due to the storm. Downpours of up to 200mm-300mm are expected in Hải Phòng City, Quảng Ninh and Lạng Sơn provinces.

Some localities experienced rain starting yesterday due to the impact of the storm. Strong winds of up to 90km per hours were recorded in some areas of Quảng Ninh province.

Storm precautions

Deputy Prime Minister Trịnh Đình Dũng yesterday visited Hải Phòng city and Quảng Ninh province to inspect preparations for the storm, asking local authorities to take preventive measures and do everything in their capacity to deal with the typhoon.

The People’s Committee of Hải Phòng, which is forecast to be directly hit by the storm, held an urgent meeting on Monday to discuss measures to cope with the storm.

Committee Chairman Nguyễn Văn Tùng called on all available forces to move vessels and fish cages to safe places and banned all operation of vessels starting at 5pm yesterday. The evacuation of people from high risk areas had to be completed by 3pm yesterday, he said. The city plans to allow all students to be off from schools today.

Authorities of the northern province of Quảng Ninh yesterday called on all departments, agencies and localities to cancel unnecessary meetings and focus on measures to cope with the storm. Local authorities have called on all vessels operating offshore to find safe shelter from the storm and temporarily stopped allowing vessels to sail for fishing or to take tourists to Hạ Long Bay and its islands.

The provincial People’s Committee set up seven task forces chaired by the Committee Chairman and Vice Chairmen to directly oversee prevention measures ahead of the storm.

The High Command of Border Guard reported that as of 6am yesterday, border guards of coastal localities from Quảng Ninh to Khánh Hòa contacted and provided updated information and guidance for 70,739 vessels with more than 288,000 people on board.

Flood recovery

Meanwhile, authorities in the central region are dealing with the consequences of heavy rains and floods that battered the region late last week.

Heavy rains and floods have claimed 29 lives and injured 30 others in the provinces of Nghệ An, Hà Tĩnh, Quảng Bình, Quảng Trị and Thừa Thiên-Huế, while one person was still reported missing, according to the latest report from the National Steering Committee for Storm and Flood Prevention and Control.

The disaster destroyed 26 houses, damaged 1,015 houses and submerged nearly 1,800 others in these localities. More than 1,0181ha of rice were flooded and over 3,600ha of crops were damaged.

Quảng Bình provincial workers cleared debris and carcasses of pigs killed by floods at the farm of Đặng Thị Ánh, in Thuận Đức Commune, Đồng Hới City. Ánh lost 1,200 pigs và 700 chicken in the floods. Ảnh: Mạnh Thành-TTXVN

Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development Nguyễn Xuân Cường on Monday arrived in Hà Tĩnh to check and guide measures to help local people deal with the flood impact.

The Ministry of Health supplied affected localities with 400,000 tablets of Cloramin B, 200 doses of medicine and sterilising liquid.

Electricity of Việt Nam said that the group fixed problems caused by rains and floods and resumed power supply to the central provinces of Nghệ An and Thừa Thiên-Huế.

Individuals and organisations nationwide are lending a helping hand to rainstorm-struck residents in the central region.

The Office of the Party Central Committee yesterday raised a total of VNĐ450 million (US$20,450) in support of the victims. At the event, Party General Secretary Nguyễn Phú Trọng also expressed his sympathy for the affected families.

At the President’s Office, President Trần Đại Quang, Vice President Đặng Thị Ngọc Thịnh and staff donated at least one-day of salary towards the fundraising.

Prime Minister Nguyễn Xuân Phúc also launched the campaign at the Government Office and urged individuals and organisations nationwide to join in the effort.

The Việt Nam Red Cross Society President Nguyễn Thị Xuân Thu (R) receives donation at the launching ceremony of SMS campaign to raise funds for the flood victims yesterday in Hà Nội. — Photo VNRC

The Việt Nam Red Cross Society in collaboration with the National Humanitarian Portal, launched an SMS campaign yesterday to raise funds for the flood victims. People can support the campaign by texting UH to 1404 from yesterday until December 16, 2016. Each SMS costs VNĐ18,000 (US$0.8). It is expected to mobilise at least VNĐ3.5 billion (US$157,000) from donors.

According to the Việt Nam Red Cross Society, more than VNĐ20.6 billion (US$896,000) have been mobilised from organisations, agencies and individuals to support areas affected by flooding. Many localities, organisations and individuals also donated safe water, drinks, food and other essential goods for flood victims.

Leaders of HCM City and the Việt Nam Fatherland Front yesterday visited the four central provinces. A total of VNĐ10 billion (US$448,000) and 800 gifts each worth VNĐ1 million ($45) were given to affected families.

Vietnam Airlines yesterday announced that it had offered to transport relief goods across the country to flood-hit provinces free of charge. Flights by Vietnam Airlines, Jetstar Pacific and VASCO that depart from Hà Nội and HCM City to the four central provinces prioritised relief goods in their freight compartments beginning yesterday. - VNS

 

 
 

 

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: