Saturday, December 3 2016

VietNamNews

Transport Ministry announces blacklist of incompetent contractors

Update: May, 24/2016 - 15:40
Construction package No. 14 under the National Highway No1 Expansion Project is transferred from CIENCO 8 to another contractor as the former failed to meet the project deadline last year. -- Photo baodauthau.vn
Viet Nam News

HÀ NỘI (VNS) — The Ministry of Transport has announced a blacklist of incompetent contractors that failed to meet major requirements and will therefore have fewer opportunities to win bids.

The ministry rated 480 constructors on their projects last year, of which 406 constructors were rated “qualified”, 48 ones were rated “average” and the remaining 26 contractors were rated “unqualified”.

The unqualified contractors include Civil Engineering Construction Joint Stock Corporation 8, Keangnam Enterprise Ltd Company, Kukdong Construction Ltd Company, Waterway Construction Corporation and Sông Hồng Corporation.

The criteria for the rating includes the ability to mobilise capital and equipment, meet project schedules, quality and work safety, as well as payment, construction assessment and maintenance.

This is the fourth year that the ministry has rated contractors. The rating is aimed at making contractors better aware of their abilities so that they can fix shortcomings and improve their performance, Phan Quang Hiển, deputy director of the Transport Engineering Construction and Quality Management Bureau, said.

Hiển said a contractor with more than six recorded errors in a construction packet or 21 errors in all its construction packages will be rated “unqualified”.

Those with less than three recorded errors in a construction packet or less than eight errors in total packages will be rated “qualified”.

Those with four to six errors in a construction package or eight to 20 errors in total construction packages will be rated “average”.

Hiển said that the rating was not only a reference for investors and project management boards, but also a criterion for the transport ministry to select contractors for its projects.

“Contractors that are rated “unqualified” for three continuous years will not be eligible to attend biddings,” he said.

Nguyễn Tuấn Anh, director of Construction Design and Consultancy Ltd Company, also known as Trường Sơn Consultancy, said the rating was a good move by the transport ministry to deter violators and create more transparency in bidding and selecting contractors.

“The rating encourages contractors to keep improving capacity and competitiveness in order to win transport project bids,” he said. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: