Thursday, December 8 2016

VietNamNews

250kg bomb found in Quang Tri Province

Update: March, 03/2016 - 15:00
Members of PeaceTrees Vietnam, a US-based non-profit organisation tasked with recovering unexploded ordnance (UXO) in the country have unearthed the bomb and successfully deactivated it later. — Photo vov.vn

QUANG TRI (VNS) — A 250 kilogramme bomb left behind by the United States (US) during its war in Viet Nam has been unearthed in Huong Hoa District, central Quang Tri Province.

A group of workers, while digging a well in the garden of a local household in Tan Lien Commune on Wednesday, found the bomb about 3 metres underground. They immediately informed the local authorities and asked them for help.

On receiving the news, the mobile team meant for detecting explosive ordnance of Quang Tri Province, under the PeaceTrees Vietnam, went to the scene and successfully deactivated the bomb.

The MK82 bomb, 250kg in weight, 1.5m in length and 80cm in diameter, was dropped by the US during their war in Viet Nam, the team said.

Members of PeaceTrees Vietnam, a US-based non-profit organisation tasked with recovering unexploded ordnance (UXO) in the country, said the bomb was highly destructive. They believed it might have been dropped in 1968, the peak year of the US War, during which Quang Tri was a principle battleground.

Around 400,000 pieces of UXO are believed to remain buried across 480,000 hectares of land in Quang Tri. They can be found almost everywhere, from residential areas to gardens and even under local houses.

Official statistics listed more than 7,000 people including children as victims of UXO accidents in the province between 1975 and 2011.

So far, 40,000 people have been killed nationwide and 60,000 injured by UXOs, nearly half of them children below 16.

The province is still dealing with the deadly aftermath of the war. — VNS


Send Us Your Comments:

See also: