GIA LAI (VNS) — Local people in Truong Chinh Alley, Pleiku City, in Gia Lai Province yesterday rescued three children from a fire.
The blaze broke out at at noon in the house of Nguyen Thi Thu Hien, a scrap buyer.
Hien was not at home at the time of the fire. She had locked the door and left her three children to play inside her house. She had also switched off the circuit breaker in case an accident happened.
However, her children played with fire, causing it to spread to the scrap heaps in the house.
The children screamed and called for help. Their neighbours broke down the house's door to rescue the three children.
Two fire engines were sent to the site, and the fire was extinguished.
Fires in Nghe An, Gia Lai
Meanwhile, another fire broke out early this morning, destroying dozens of kiosks at Hieu Market in Thai Hoa Town in the central Nghe An Province.
The fire started at a kiosk in the southern part of the market and quickly spread to surrounding kiosks.
Eight fire engines and about 100 firemen were sent to the site.
The flame was brought under control after nearly one hour.
All goods in more than 10 kiosks were destroyed, causing a loss of about VND2 billion (US$89,200).
Hieu Market covers thousands of square metres of land and has about 700 kiosks that are in poor condition and overloaded. The fire extinguishing system is also primitive in nature.
In 2010, a fire had destroyed 170 kiosks in the market.
In another incident, a fire destroyed a furniture showroom, a corrugated iron store and a seven-storey building at No.634, Hung Vuong Street, Chu Se Town, in the central highland province of Gia Lai yesterday.
The fire started at 3.30pm in the seven-story building owned by Nguyen Tuong Khanh, and quickly spread to his 1000sq.m furniture showroom and store.
The fire was extinguished by 7.30pm, following intensive efforts by five fire engines and 50 firefighters.
The damage is estimated to be worth more than VND10 billion ($446,000).
All cases are being investigated further. — VNS