|The firecrackers caused the accident soon after they were lit to celebrate the New Year's Eve in the lunar calendar. — Photo vtv.vn
HA NOI (VNS) — The firecrackers, which shot into the crowd instead of going skywards and injuring 16 people after being lit, in central Quang Ngai Province, were damp, a conference heard yesterday.
Major General Ngo Quy Duc, deputy commander-chief of Military Zone 5, said that instead of rising towards the sky the damp fireworks whizzed into the crowd which was watching the display during a celebration of the final evening of the lunar calendar in Pham Van Dong Square.
Thousands of terrified onlookers fled the square and six of them were hospitalised for injuries caused by the fireworks.
Duc said that the report to identify the cause of the accident revealed that the assembly work of the fireworks, which was in the charge of the provincial Military Command, was implemented correctly.
He confirmed that 300 firecrackers, which were made in China, had been tested for their quality before being put to use.
Duc said that the carelessness of the transferor and the transferee had contributed to the accident. The transferor, or the factory, did not send its staff to check the shipment and documentation on the use of the fireworks. The transferee, or the provincial Military Command, did not carefully check the shipment and did not test it first.
Senior Lt. Colonel Nguyen Kim Quang, deputy chief of the command, said up to 356 of the 6,000 firecrackers failed to explode as they were damp. The authorised agencies have destroyed the fireworks.
Among the 16 people injured, only two were still under treatment. The rest were discharged from hospital after treatment.
Viet Nam has banned firecrackers since 1994 for safety and security reasons. — VNS