Saturday, December 3 2016

VietNamNews

Deputy PM asks for tightening service vaccine management

Update: January, 08/2016 - 15:57
A baby gets vaccine at a vaccination station. Viet Nam continues to use the five-in-one Quinvaxem vaccine in the National Expanded Programme on Immunisation until 2020. — Photo vietnamnet.vn

HA NOI (VNS) — Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam, in a document released yesterday, asked the Ministry of Health to tighten supervision, quality management, and price of vaccines in the serviced vaccination programme.

Dam requested the health ministry to soon complete a decree on vaccination and submit it for the government's approval, and to draw up a plan towards a united vaccination programme in the country as per international regulations.

The Deputy PM also suggested to the health ministry to continue computerisation of the examination and treatment of health insurance services and forward IT applications in vaccination management.

The health ministry was also urged to promote vaccine research and production in the country and to work with the State Capital Investment Corporation to speed up the project on building a vaccine production factory on an industrial scale.

Viet Nam continues to use the five-in-one Quinvaxem vaccine in the National Expanded Programme on Immunisation until 2020, according to the National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology director Dang Duc Anh.

Anh said that the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisations (GAVI) was committed to donate the Quinvaxem vaccine to Viet Nam until 2020, totalling around 4.8 million doses yearly.

"After 2020, Viet Nam would consider continuing the use of Quinvaxem or find a replacement," Anh said.

The health ministry's Preventive Medicine Department director Tran Dac Phu said that Quinvaxem has been used to vaccinate 92 per cent of children under the age of six in Viet Nam, while serviced vaccines were using by the remaining 8 per cent of children mainly in big cities such as Ha Noi or HCM City.

Phu said that parents should not worry too much about Quinvaxem's post-vaccine reaction and eagerly await the imported Pentaxim vaccine that has not been provided in ample doses due to shortage in supplies by the manufacturer Sanofi Pasteur S.A.

"In fact, the rate of serious Pentaxim post-vaccine reactions were similar to those from Quinvaxem," Phu confirmed.

Phu added that no deaths were reported due to the Quinvaxem vaccine in Ha Noi or HCM City in 2015, whereas it was used on 300,000 children in HCM City and 280,000 others in Ha Noi last year.

Children would face the high risk of disease if parents continued to wait for serviced vaccines. In 2015, 50 per cent of the 380 children suffered from pertussis as they were not vaccinated yet or had not completed three doses.

The health ministry also organised training courses on strengthening immunisation safety nation-wide with a focus on screening before the vaccination and emergency aid after the dosage. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: