|Dark smoke covers the 18th floor of the building after the fire. — VNA/VNS Photo
HA NOI (VNS) — A pregnant woman and her five-year-old child were taken to hospital after their apartment caught fire early this morning in Ha Dong District.
The fire broke out at the Hồ Gươm Plaza condo complex, located at 110 Tran Phu Street, Ha Dong District, Ha Noi, at 0:30am.
Fire crews that reached the site found flames coming out from apartment number 1805 of the building, which was occupied by the pregnant woman and her child at the time. The woman opened the door to cry for help and asked the people below to call her husband, but it was difficult to hear anything as her apartment was located on one of the higher floors, Tuan, an eyewitness, told Viet Nam News.
The residents informed the firefighters and quickly evacuated the building.
Four specialised fire-fighting vehicles arrived at the scene. As the apartment was located on one of the higher floors, the firefighters had to bring the two persons down the stairs.
The woman and the child were rescued after nearly one hour and were taken to the emergency ward of a hospital.
The building's residents said the alarm system of the complex did not go off and even the elevators functioned normally during the blaze.
Hoa, who lives on the 12th floor of the building, said she woke up after her neighbours started banging on the door at about 1am. She then held her grandson and escaped on the elevator.
Other residents expressed concern as they had repeatedly asked the investor, Ho Guom Garment JSC, to test the fire safety system and had received a firm commitment from the company.
Ho Guom Plaza, which became operational two years ago, has 29 floors and three basements. The complex, comprising a business centre, offices for rent and luxury apartments, was built with a total investment of VNĐ1.5 trillion (US$66.9 million). The apartment buyers have paid at least VND1.7 billion to VND3.5 billion ($76,000 to $156,000) each.
The case is under further investigation. — VNS