Friday, October 28 2016


224 banh my eaters stricken with salmonella poisoning

Update: October, 20/2015 - 17:12
Illustrative photo. — Photo

QUANG BINH (VNS) — Banh my (Vietnamese bread) contaminated with Salmonella bacteria supplied by a bakery in this central province has been identified as the cause of the poisoning of 224 locals.

The province's food hygiene and safety department yesterday announced that banh my sold by Vuong Tien Thanh Bakery had been contaminated with the bacteria, forcing consumers to rush to hospitals last Wednesday.

Samples taken from the bakery and the contents of the victims' stomachs tested positive for the bacteria. People infected with Salmonella develop symptoms of diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps within 72 hours of infection.

This is the biggest case of food poisoning seen in the province, and authorities have shut down the bakery for further inspection.

Of the 224 victims, 61 are now at home, recovering from their symptoms. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: