Friday, December 9 2016

VietNamNews

People want unused bridge opened before flood season

Update: August, 25/2015 - 12:31
The new An Mo Bridge does not have any roads leading to it from its eastern side in the central Quang Tri Province. — VNS Photo Phuoc Buu

QUANG TRI (VNS) — A new VND68-billion (US$3 million) bridge in the central Quang Tri Province is lying unused more than a year since its completion.

The local people are still using the old narrow parallel bridge.

There are no roads leading to the new bridge, making it just a span across the River Thach Han in the province's Trieu Phong District.

The province's transport department said delays in site clearance had hindered the construction of roads leading to the bridge. The bridge was part of a project to replace old, weak bridges in the district to boost the economic development of communes lying on the eastern side of the river, it said.

The old An Mo Bridge is wide enough for just one lane of traffic and four-wheelers travelling in opposite directions have to take turns to cross it.

The project began in 2012, but its deadline has not been specified. Two of the four families on the eastern end of the bridge have not agreed to sell their land for a cheaper price.

Nguyen Hoai Phong, an official in the district's Trieu Long Commune, told Viet Nam News that the bridge was crucial for the daily commute of local residents as well as the area's economic growth. He expected related agencies to handle the disputes in site clearance to allow the bridge to be opened to public as soon as possible.

Local residents expect quicker completion of the construction of roads leading to the bridge as the flood season is approaching. The old bridge is not high enough to avoid touching the river water when the flood is at its peak.

The blocked Co Lau Bridge in the southern An Giang Province. — Photo nguoilaodong.com.vn

Commuters in Mekong (Cuu Long) Delta province of An Giang also have no access to the Co Lau Bridge, which connects An Phu and Tan Chau districts. They have to use boats every day.

The VND38-billion ($1.7 million) bridge's construction began in 2010. The work was completed earlier this year, but the bridge continues to be blocked off, preventing vehicles from using it.

A report by Nguoi Lao dong (Labourers) newspaper said the bridge has been blocked because its sidewalk fence was too low to prevent accidental falls by commuters into the canal.

Local people expect the fence to be replaced quickly, which will allow them to finally use the bridge after a five-year wait. — VNS


Send Us Your Comments:

See also: