Thursday, December 8 2016

VietNamNews

Nearly 100 footwear workers hospitalised for food poisoning

Update: July, 17/2015 - 15:01
Nearly 100 workers of a footwear company in HCM City's Thu Duc District were taken to Thu Duc Hospital and Quan doan 4 Hospital last evening allegedly for food poisoning. --Photo dantri.com.vn

HCM CITY (VNS) — Nearly 100 workers of a footwear company in HCM City's Thu Duc District were rushed to hospitals on Wednesday evening allegedly for food poisoning.

The workers reportedly suffered from stomach ache, vomiting and diarrhoea after having dinner before the late shift.

Nguyen Thanh Binh, a doctor at the Emergency Department of Thu Duc District Hospital said that the workers displayed symptoms of food poisoning.

Forty workers received intravenous fluids.

The district's preventive medicine centre and relevant agencies took food samples from the company's canteen for testing.

This food poisoning case occurred just a day before a conference in northern Thai Nguyen Province on food safety at collective canteens organised by the health ministry.

Deputy Health Minister Nguyen Thanh Long told the conference that more than 1,000 workers have been hospitalised for food poisoning after having meals at collective canteens in industrial zones and export processing zones each year.

In many companies, a meal for a worker cost between VND 10,000 and VND 12,000 (US$0.5), he said, blaming the cheap ingredients used to cook the meals.

He said that nearly 20 per cent of examined meal providers for companies were not certified to ensure food safety, with about 16 per cent failing to meet hygiene regulations and nearly ten per cent using unidentified ingredients.

The report by the ministry's Food Safety Department shows that in the last four years, more than 6,000 people have been hospitalised in 84 food poisoning cases that occurred at canteens in industrial zones and export processing zones. — VNS



Send Us Your Comments:

See also: