Saturday, December 10 2016

VietNamNews

Three Vietnamese crewmen die of gas poisoning

Update: July, 14/2015 - 14:09
A victim receives emergency assistance after inhaling a poisonous gas. -- Photo New Straits Times

HA NOI (VNS) — Three Vietnamese crewmen died after inhaling a poisonous gas on a ship, MV Hi Ram, 4.1 nautical miles south-east of Tanjung Penyusup on Sunday night, the New Straits Times reported.

Tanjung Sedili District Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency's (MMEA) enforcement chief Maritime Captain Amran Daud said the agency received a distress call from the Vietnamese ship at 9.20pm, and an MMEA team reached the ship about an hour later to provide emergency assistance.

"The team boarded MV Hi Ram and found three male adult bodies covered with blankets on the deck. The team was informed that two other crew members had fallen sick after inhaling the gas. All victims are Vietnamese," Amran said in a statement.

He said based on checks and conversations with the ship's crew, it was reported that the victims had inhaled a poisonous gas while working in an enclosed area on the ship.

The Vietnamese embassy in Malaysia is working with relevant agencies in the country to provide assistance in relation to the deaths. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: