Sunday, December 11 2016

VietNamNews

2 die after having raw pig blood

Update: July, 07/2015 - 18:13
One person is still in a coma at the National Tropical Diseases Hospital in Ha Noi. —Photo Dantri.com.vn

HA NOI (VNS) — Two of five men admitted to Ha Noi's National Tropical Diseases Hospital with Streptococcus suis bacterial infection, a pathogen found in pigs, have died.

Nguyen Trung Cap, deputy director of the Hospital's Emergency Department, said all the five patients were suffering blood contamination and respiratory decline; they were in a coma and had severe necrosis in their arms and legs.

Of the five patients, three had eaten tiet canh (a traditional dish that uses uncooked pig blood).

One of the two dead patients, a 55-year-old man from northern Hoa Binh Province, was brought to the hospital on Saturday in a deep coma and a sharp drop in his blood pressure. He had eaten tiet canh three days earlier. The other patient was a 40-year-old man from Ninh Binh who was an alcoholic and often ate tiet canh.

Of the three remaining patients, one is still in a coma, while the other two have regained consciousness but need treatment for a long time.

Experts from the Preventive Health Department said Streptococcus suis bacterium is a pathogen found in pigs and it is highly possible for the bacteria to be transmitted from pigs to people. Infected people may get meningitis or septic shock, which can quickly lead to fatal multiple organ failures.

They have advised people to abstain from consuming tiet canh, or uncooked pig organs and meat especially of ill or dead pigs. Those who have a high fever of 40 to 41 degrees Centigrade, bleeding under skin, diarrhoea, and breathing difficulties should immediately go to a hospital to prevent death. — VNS

 



Send Us Your Comments:

See also: