Friday, October 28 2016


Five in critical condition after eating toxic mushrooms

Update: May, 29/2015 - 17:39
Patients of mushroom poisoning are provided with intensive care at the Kon Tum General Hospital. — VNA/NVS Photo Cao Nguyen

KON TUM (VNS) — Many young people and students in Tay Nguyen (Central Highlands), Kon Tum Province, gathered today to donate blood for five patients of mushroom poisoning.

The five patients from Sa Binh Commune in Sa Thay District were admitted to the provincial general hospital in critical condition, after they consumed poisonous mushrooms on Thursday.

According to two patients, their fathers picked mushrooms from a forest. After eating the cooked mushroom, they got sick and were hospitalised.

Dr. Vo Khac Tuan, head of the intensive care unit and the anti-toxic department of the hospital, noted that 10-year-old Y Xuan Mai and 50-year-old Y Kin were in a state of coma when they were brought to the hospital; they have suffered liver and kidney failure and have a blood coagulation disorder.

The patients underwent dialysis and plasma transfusion, Dr, Tuan said.

However, the hospital does not have liver filter equipment and its plasma reserve is not as good as that in larger hospitals.

Therefore, the hospital today called on young people and students in the province to donate blood for plasma filtering to save the patients, added the doctor.

Patient Mai is still in critical condition as she suffered multi-viscera failure, while Patient Y Kin has shown some signs of recovery.

Unfortunately, the other patients' conditions are becoming serious.

This month so far has recorded two deaths from eating poisonous mushrooms. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: