Sunday, December 11 2016

VietNamNews

One child dies from eating poisoned crab

Update: May, 27/2015 - 23:41
The crab had been given to the family by a relative, who had grabbed the crustacean on local Con Co Island. They had cooked it as part of the children's dinner. — Illustrative image

QUANG TRI (VNS) — One child died and another was hospitalised here yesterday evening after they ate a crab that had been poisoned by plants it had consumed prior to being caught.

The siblings, Ngo Thanh Cao, 10, and Ngo Thanh Tai, 8, were sharing the crab, when 15 minutes later, Cao vomited and died on the spot. The family, residing in the central province's Vinh Tan Commune in Vinh Linh District, took Tai to the local hospital's emergency room.

The crab had been given to the family by a relative, who had grabbed the crustacean on local Con Co Island. They had cooked it as part of the children's dinner.

Tai is now recovering after doctors pumped his stomach to remove the poison. The crab is endemic to the island and living in the hollows by streams. Locals have used the crustacean as food for centuries.

A doctor said the crab had eaten some poisonous plants before it was caught and cooked. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: