Sunday, April 30 2017

VietNamNews

Victims of mushroom poisoning stable

Update: May, 26/2015 - 21:05
Staff at Yen Minh District's General Hospital attending to one of the victims of food poisoning that was caused by wild mushroom consumption. - VNA/VNS Photo

HA NOI (VNS) -- The conditions of 20 people hospitalised after consuming toxic mushrooms have been stable and no casualties have been reported, a health official said.

The head of the Health Department of Ha Giang Province, Luong Viet Thuan, noted that the residents of Ngoc Long Commune, Yen Minh District, were poisoned after they ate toxic mushrooms.

At about 11:40am yesterday, after piling maize, 20 people in Ban Doan Village, Ngoc Long commune, Yen Minh District, gathered at Nguyen Van La family's house for lunch. The menu included wild mushrooms they had collected from forest.

Two hours after lunch, all the 20 people began complaining of similar symptoms: stomachache, nausea, and diarrhoea. They were immediately rushed to Ngoc Long commune's medical centre.

Following the instruction of the provincial Health Department, Yen Minh District's medical centre and relevant authorities quickly inspected the lunch venue and collected samples for medical tests.

"Three ambulances were mobilised and the victims were quickly transferred to the hospital," said Pham Van Anh, the Director of Yen Minh District's General Hospital.

"The oldest among the victims is 45 years old whereas the youngest is 16 years old," the doctor added.

Treatment procedures for the victims were exactly in line with Ha Noi-based Bach Mai Hospital's therapy: stomach cleaning, fluid transfusion, providing patients with activated carbon and diuretic and poison-resistant drugs.

By 10pm, all the victims recovered, with their blood pressure within normal levels.

Over the past years, Ha Giang has witnessed quite a few cases of food poisoning, reported online news site chinhphu.vn. These still occur despite local authorities' efforts to raise public awareness thanks to their economic difficulties as well as the poor understanding and living practices of local people.

According to the provincial Food Safety and Hygiene Steering Committee, tens of food poisoning cases are registered each year, mostly from eating wild mushrooms and mouldy maize powder.

In 2014 alone, the province recorded eight cases of food poisoning; and a total of 37 people were affected, of which 9 died. -  VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: