Saturday, December 3 2016

VietNamNews

Factory workers discharged from hospital after gas leak at industrial park

Update: May, 26/2015 - 17:05
A worker was rushed to Dong Nai General Hospital for treatment. — Photo Sy Tuyen

 

HCM CITY (VNS) — Around 100 female workers at a garment factory who fainted on Monday because of an ammonia leak from another plant in an industrial park in the southern province of Dong Nai were released from the hospital yesterday morning (May 26) in good condition.

Most of the workers had been taken to Dong Nai General Hospital, according to Dr Phan Huy Anh Vu, director of the hospital.

Nguyen Van Nhan, environmental director of the Amata Industrial Park, said the incident occurred when Amanda Co., a frozen-food processing company, was installing a new ammonia condensing system at its factory.

Nhan said the contractor had closed a valve that supplies cooling water, causing the temperature of the ammonia gas to surge, resulting in higher pressure inside the condensing system. This caused the valve to automatically open, releasing the gas.

The incident occurred over a period of three minutes, during which the air flowed toward the factory of the Asia Garment Manufacturers Company.

The workers told authorities that they ran toward the exit of the building after noticing an unpleasant odor. Most of them fainted, having found it difficult to breathe. They also experienced headaches and nausea. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: