Wednesday, December 7 2016

VietNamNews

Gas leak kills four Vietnamese workers in Russia

Update: April, 22/2015 - 16:37
The incident happened when the workers went to sleep, forgetting to turn off the cooking gas stove's safety valve. — Illustrative Image/Photo Bizlive

HA NOI (VNS) — Four Vietnamese migrant workers suffocated to death following a gas leak in their rented house in Magas, the capital of the Republic of Ingushetia, Russia, a local newspaper has reported.

The incident happened when the workers went to sleep, forgetting to turn off the cooking gas stove's safety valve.

The victims include 43-year-old Nguyen Van Chien, 45-year-old Nguyen Hong Thai and 21-year-old Nguyen Van Hieu from the central Quang Binh province. The fourth victim from the central Nghe An province has not yet been identified.

Chien's widow Nguyen Thi Hien said some workers called her late on Monday evening to inform her about her husband's death.

Chien has two young children and Thai three children in Quang Binh. The other two victims' marital status is still unclear.

Other Vietnamese workers are calling for donations to help send back the bodies of the victims, while local authorities and the victims' families are also trying their best to bring the bodies back to their homeland.

These workers had been working in Russia for three to four years and often moved to different cities to do casual jobs. It has not been confirmed if they were working legally in Russia. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: