Monday, December 5 2016

VietNamNews

Government delays plan to confiscate drunken drivers' vehicles

Update: April, 02/2015 - 15:31
A police checks a driver's level of alcohol. The Government has agreed to delay a plan to confiscate vehicles of drunken drivers. — VNA/VNS Photo Viet Hung

HA NOI (VNS) — Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung has agreed with the transport ministry that the plan to confiscate vehicles of drunken drivers should not be implemented.

The draft plan to confiscate vehicles driven by drunken drivers was put forward by the National Committee on Traffic Safety in March, but it created great debate over its feasibility and whether the level of punishment was too high.

According to the Government's office, the Transport Ministry said while it agreed that there should be heavier punishment for drunken drivers, such a plan needed more time to increase people's awareness and get public support.

Earlier on March 27, the Public Security Ministry sent a document to the Transport Ministry, saying the plan could add a huge amount of workload for relevant agencies.

In addition, families could lose their only means of transport for earning a living, thus creating further backlash against the authorities, the Public Security Ministry said. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: