Tuesday, December 6 2016

VietNamNews

Criminal proceedings open in scaffolding collapse case

Update: April, 01/2015 - 14:45
The site of the scaffolding collapse which killed 14 and injured 28 in the central Ha Tinh Province on March 25. — Photo thethaovanhoa.vn

HA TINH (VNS) — The police in the central Ha Tinh Province decided to start criminal proceedings on Tuesday against a scaffolding collapse that killed 14 people and injured 28.

The incident happened on March 25 in the Formosa section of the Vung Ang economic zone in Ky Anh District, Ha Tinh Province, when more than 50 workers on the steel scaffolding fell to the ground and were either trapped or killed.

A press conference held on March 27 said an investigation found a technical failure of the hydraulic brake system had led to the collapse of the scaffolding, which was 20m high, 40m long and 35m wide.

Colonel Bui Dinh Quang, vice-director of the Ha Tinh police, declined to reveal the name of the prosecuted persons, only saying that the charge was of "violating labour safety regulations" according to Article 227 of the Criminal Code.

He said the decision to take legal action came after a meeting between the Ha Tinh police and the province's relevant agencies such as the Provincial Party Committee's Commission for Home Affairs, Department of Labour, War Invalids and Social Affairs and Department of Construction, besides the People's Prosecution Agency.

At the meeting, the provincial police presented the initial results of the investigation into the case, the evidence collected from the accident site and the accounts of the survivors, Quang said.

Viet Nam Television reported the Ha Tinh Police had earlier met the NIBELC company that provided labourers to work on the scaffolding. They also called 24 employees of the contractor Samsung C&T to verify the report that despite warnings that the scaffolding shook twice before collapsing, the South Korean construction site manager insisted on workers continuing their work.

Now, almost one week later, six workers treated at the Ky Anh General Hospital have been discharged, while 14 are still being treated at the Ha Tinh General Hospital, and eight of the critically injured are being treated in Ha Noi. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: