Wednesday, November 22 2017

VietNamNews

Travel banned in scaffolding case

Update: March, 31/2015 - 09:14
The accident last Wednesday killed 13 workers and injured 28. — File Photo

HA TINH (VNS) — The Ministry of Public Security has issued orders prohibiting the overseas departures of any individuals who could be responsible for last Wednesday's deadly scaffolding collapse in the Vung Ang Economic Zone.

The accident last Wednesday killed 13 workers and injured 28.

The ministry also sent an inter-agencies task force to inspect the site of the incident, deputy chief of the province's police Nguyen Van An told Tuoi Tre (Youth) yesterday.

South Korea's Samsung C&T Company is the main contractor in charge of the section where the incident occurred.

"The provincial authority reported directly to the Prime Minister," said Vo Kim Cu, chairman of Ha Tinh Province People's Committee. He added that a task force had been set up to investigate the cause of the incident.

Cu said the authority had considered asking for help from foreign experts to speed up investigations. He said individuals and organisations responsible would be punished in accordance with the country's law.

Samsung C&T and their labour supplier company, Nibelc Viet Nam, have agreed to offer up to VND350 million (US$16,500) compensation to each of the affected families.

Nguyen Van Son, head of the provincial department of Labour, Invalids and Social Affairs, said a separate investigation had been launched to determine whether the company purchased insurance for its workers.

The initial cause of the collapse was said to be failure of an hydraulic brake system. This was confirmed at a press conference last Friday by the province People's Committee. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: