Friday, November 24 2017

VietNamNews

District orders inspection of underground commercial areas

Update: March, 18/2015 - 15:13
One woman fainted at the Big C supermarket after inhaling excessive motorbike exhaust fume. — Photo thethaovanhoa.vn
HA NOI (VNS) — Nam Tu Lien's People's Committee on Tuesday ordered thorough checking of all underground commercial premises in the district, especially their ventilation systems.

The order came after 19 people were rushed to the hospital last Saturday after they inhaled excessive motorbike exhaust fumes, while waiting to leave a supermarket's basement parking lot at the Big C supermarket in The Garden building.

Nguyen Trong Luong, deputy chairman of the district's People's Committee, said the presence of an unusually large number of people, who had gathered for a concert on Sunday night, was the main cause of the incident.

After the concert, hundreds of people on motorbikes were trying to get out at the same time. The running engines produced a large amount of carbon dioxide that wafted up to the supermarket through the staircases.

Ho Quoc Nguyen, director of the supermarket's public relations department, said a technical malfunction of the building's ventilation system could be the main culprit.

Deputy Chief of district police Ha Quang Thai said the police had set up a task force to investigate the incident. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: