Friday, August 18 2017

VietNamNews

Employers blamed for labour deaths

Update: March, 05/2015 - 09:46

HA NOI (VNS) — An average of more than 50 workers died a month in labour accidents across the country last year, according to the Ministry of Labour, Invalids and Social Affairs (MoLISA).

The ministry released several figures on labour accidents at a press conference in Ha Noi on Tuesday.

It said that a compilation of reports from 63 cities and provinces show 6,941 workers were involved in 6,709 labour accidents that took place in 2014. About 9 per cent of the workers, or 630 people, died in the accidents.

The highest number of labour accidents (1,462) as well as deaths (100) took place in the southern province of Dong Nai.

Ha Tat Thang, who heads MoLISA's Work Safety Bureau, said employers were mainly responsible for the workplace fatalities, failing to take adequate safety measures including the provision of protective-equipment to workers.

"Investigations into work-related deaths show that employers did not offer proper training on workplace safety to the workers or equip them with proper personal protection gear," Thang said.

The reports indicate that 72.7 per cent of work-related deaths were caused by the negligence of the employers, he added.

Meanwhile, statistics compiled by the Fire Prevention and Fighting Department show that 90 people were killed in 2,357 fires last year, and the damage was estimated at VND1.3 trillion (US$62.8 million).

The fires broke out at manufacturing facilities and business stores, and the damage was exacerbated by late alarms and the lack of prevention measures at the accident sites, the department said.

It was announced at the press conference that the 17th National Labour Safety and Fire Precaution Week will be held from March 15-21 to raise public awareness on the issue, especially among employers.

The event's opening ceremony will be held at the Dong Xuyen Industrial Park in the coastal city of Vung Tau, officials said. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: