Friday, December 15 2017

VietNamNews

Baby chokes on seed, suffers brain damage

Update: January, 09/2015 - 08:04

HCM CITY (VNS) — The HCM City Paediatrics Hospital No.1 is treating a 15-month-old child from Ba Ria-Vung Tau Province, who is in a vegetative state after a kumquat his mother squeezed into his mouth when he was convulsing due to high fever squirted a seed into his bronchial tube, causing him to choke.

Truong Huu Khanh, head of the hospital No.1's neurology and infectious diseases ward, said on his Facebook page that "dropping a kumquat seed into the bronchial tube leads to a shortage of oxygen to the brain" with reference to the child's vegetative state.

Though the seed was taken out of the bronchial tube, the damage had been done because of the prolonged shortage of oxygen to the brain, he said.

His hospital gets many emergency cases caused by squeezing kumquat or lemon into the children's mouth to stop convulsing, he said.

Parents should never do such a thing because it is unscientific and often deadly dangerous, he added. Instead, they should observe what exactly happens to the child to describe to the doctor later when they take them after they stop convulsing, she added. — VNS

Send Us Your Comments:

See also: