DONG THAP (VNS) — A two-month-old infant died early today, a day after she was given a BCG vaccine at a health centre in Truong Xuan commune in Thap Muoi District.
The baby had been taken to the local community health centre for regular vaccination. She was administered a BCG shot, a Quinvaxem shot and a polio vaccine.
The baby developed high fever later and died early morning today. According to the Dong Thap police and doctors and healthcare officials from the Pasteur Institute in HCM City and Paediatrics Hospital 1, initial investigations revealed that the baby might have choked while drinking a liquid, suspected to be milk.
She was reportedly in good health at the time of the vaccination and there were no signs that she experienced adverse reactions after being vaccinated.
The BCG vaccine protects against tuberculosis.
The case is under investigation. — VNS