QUANG NINH (VNS)— The People's Committee in the northern province of Quang Ninh yesterday spoke with local health departments and authorities to prevent residents from drinking poisoned alcohol made from sticky rice.
The move came after six people died and 15 were hospitalised throughout the province last week after drinking the alcohol, which was reported to come from the same batch produced on October 12 by the Ha Noi 29 Import Export JSC. Sample testing by local authorities showed that the methanol content in the alcohol exceeded the allowed limit by 2,000 times.
On Saturday, the provincial police announced that the case will be prosecuted for violations of food safety and hygiene laws.
Also yesterday, the Ministry of Health's Administration for Food Safety and Hygiene issued an urgent notice for the confistication of three products made by the Ha Noi company, which tested positive for excessive levels of methanol, including a drink made from sticky-rice, sticky-rice Vodka and red champage. The products are in glass bottles and were produced on October 12. — VNS